dimanche 10 juillet 2011

On Modern Baroque art

In my most recent research, I felt the need to clearly identify my artistic style and consequently identify myself. By collecting my ideas together in my article “Art : social and spiritual vector”, I finally came up with the Modern Baroque qualifier.

The Modern Baroque term currently exists in decoration but, to my knowledge, no visual artist claimed it yet. I believe that this current exists for some time now, particularly in the world of tattooing where the antique, decorative and floral subjects are largely in fashion.

The Baroque movement prevailed in Europe in the 17th century and is characterized in all its forms by a realistic representation, an abundant ornamentation and a complex line. By observing my own artwork, I noticed a series of similarities with the forth mentioned style, object of my research. The play of texture, the light or absent background, the high contrast of lightning and graphic compositions are many technical qualities already present in my work or that I aspire to master.

The hyperrealist representation of the Baroque area is qualified as Naturalism - art anchored in reality. For the early years of this artistic current’s painters, naturalism made it possible to abolish the borders between art and life, to create a balance between reality and imaginary, thus confronting our reality and the one of painting.

The majority of that time’s paintings are religious or mythological representations. On the other hand, it is during that particular time that still life made its first appearance. The expression “still life” indicates a subject made up of inanimate objects (fruits, flowers, vases, etc). In several artistic academic formations, it is one of the first topics studied because of the powers of observation it requires and of its great technicality.

During the Baroque period, the still life was regarded as symbolic. Flowers and fruits are an allegory of fertility, testimony of the earth as a provider of wealth and happiness. A well spread category of still life  in these years is the "Vanity". It often represents objects symbolizing the mortal nature of man and the impermanence of all things such as skulls, watches, candles, ripe fruits and almost withered flowers.


Still Life with Bouquet and Skull– Adriaen van Utrecht


I must here make a parallel with the Buddhist meditation teachings. Buddha taught that the decisive characteristic of the universe is its transitoriness. Naturalism and Buddhism have a common motivation: to observe things as they really are. For the Buddhists, “to see things as they really are” means to constantly observe them in the light of three characteristics of which the first is “Anicca”. The notion that all existence, without exception, is in a constant state of flux.

The adherents of those two doctrines also believe that the divine can appear unexpectedly in daily matters.

Alex Grey wrote: “The unearthing of Paleolithic paintings in the twentieth century reveals that Art is a mighty instinctual force implanted in the hearts of people. Art is a people's collective mind. Art is not a mere amusement, distraction or fashionable investment. Though the artist, their art and the viewer are all impermanent, art can provide evidence of contact with the universal creative force beyond time. Art has a function and a mission to interpret the world, to reveal the condition of the soul, to encourage our higher nature and awaken the spiritual faculties within every individual. Art can be a form of worship and service.” (1)


Artist’s Hand – Alex Grey


I thus commit myself to embrace the emotion of the present moment in the visual capture of transitory, pure and beautiful moments.

These recent reflections are for me a kind of ultimate truth which perfectly includes the personal conception I have of my existence. From now on, I feel that I will have very few things left to say.

That is all.

Facile contemnit omnia qui se semper cogitat moriturum (He who thinks always of Death can easily scorn all things). - Hieronymus 1517


(1) The mission of Art – Alex Grey - http://www.alexgrey.com/essay/mission.html

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire